The Lindsay Literary Scholarship 2020
The Lindsay Literary Agency has been sponsoring a fully funded writers’ place at the Winchester Writers’ Festival since 2018 and we are delighted to announce that we will be doing the same for the Virtual Writers’ Weekend in 2020.
The 2020 scholarship will be awarded to a children’s fiction writer (picture book, middle grade or YA), of any age, for people of colour. The funding covers the cost of an Attendee ticket with access to all workshops and talks together with a one-to-one tutorial with founder of the Lindsay Literary Agency, Becky Bagnell, plus video recordings of key sessions during the weekend that can be viewed for up to one month.
The Virtual Writers’ Weekend 2020 will take place from 9th-12th July. For more details on the programme, please visit the Programme page of this website.
Who can apply?
Any writer who lives in the UK or Ireland and is a person of colour may apply. Applicants can be unpublished or self-published but must be un-agented. Each submission will be judged solely on the work submitted and its potential together with the statement supplied.
How to submit?
- Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject line please put Lindsay Literary Scholarship 2020 Entry.
- In the body of the email, please include your name, address, email and telephone.
- Please attach your work-in-progress sample: 2,000 words from the opening of your unpublished or self-published novel or picture book text.
- Please attach your statement. This should be 500 or fewer words in a Word document. Please give some details on your writing background, whether you are unpublished or self-published, how attending the Writers’ Weekend will help you in your writing career and why you should be awarded the scholarship. Applicants are asked to self-identify as a person of colour.
- Please include information on any relevant writing courses, degree or MA courses you are attending or have completed.
Please attach your synopsis. This should be 500 or fewer words in a Word document.
Deadline: Friday, 3rd July 2020 at midnight.
Terms and Conditions
- Work should be the applicant’s own and should not be under contract with a publisher
- Applicants must be un-agented
- You may submit work that has previously been self-published.
- The work must be part of a complete work.
- If you have completed an MA in creative writing or are currently taking part in a similar course please make this clear in your statement.
- Amendments cannot be made once the Work has been submitted.
- The winner of the Scholarship will be announced on or before 8th July 2020. If you have not heard by this date unfortunately you may assume you have not been successful.
- If the winner of the Scholarship cannot be contacted or does not respond within 3 days the Lindsay Literary Agency reserves the right to select another Scholar from entries which were received before the closing date.
- Due to the high volume of submissions, the Lindsay Literary Agency is unable to contact applicants on progress of submissions. However, applicants will receive an automated acknowledgement of receipt by email.
- Applicants who sign a contract with a publisher or agent before the 2020 Virtual Writers’ Weekend must withdraw.
- Lindsay Literary Agency together with the Writers’ Weekend will announce the name of the awardee unless they request to remain anonymous (please state this clearly on your submission email if this is the case).
- Any changes to the Terms & Conditions will be posted on the Lindsay Literary Agency’s website.
Submissions not in compliance with the rules will be disqualified. Please send all entries and enquiries to: email@example.com
Barbara Large Bursary Fund
for writers of any age
DEADLINE: 3 July, 2020 (or until the fund has been fully distributed)
Due to the generosity of many Writers’ Weekend attendees, the Barbara Large Bursary Fund has a limited number of £75 bursaries available for writers experiencing financial difficulty.
This offer is open to all ATTENDEE PACKAGE or VIEW-ONLY PACKAGE applicants. Please fill in the contact form by following the link on this page. Start your message with the words ‘Bursary Request’ and write a brief note about yourself. Bursaries will begin to be distributed when the Bursary Fund accumulates enough funds, which is dependent on attendee donations.
The Monica Wood Scholarships - this scholarship is now closed for 2020
Writers’ Weekend is offering THREE scholarships to writers aged 18-25 of limited means who would like to apply for a free FULL ATTENDEE PACKAGE to attend the event. The funding covers the cost of access to the entire event, including four one-to-one appointments with industry experts. Generously funded by Monica Wood. DEADLINE: 20 MAY, 2020.